[mythtv-users] Help - Lirc broken after upgrade to 0.9.0

Saul A. Peebsen jaglover at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 00:28:51 UTC 2011

> I just went through this myself on Gentoo.
> Lirc 0.9.0 has no mceusb anymore so you build the one from the kernel.
> However, assuming that all you need is the mceusb driver is wrong.
> Below you will find all the other kernel items I included as modules
> or a part of my kernel (Gentoo sources 3.0.0).
>
> CONFIG_RC_CORE=m
> CONFIG_LIRC=m
> CONFIG_RC_MAP=m
> CONFIG_IR_RC5_DECODER=m
> CONFIG_IR_RC6_DECODER=m
> CONFIG_IR_RC5_SZ_DECODER=m
> CONFIG_IR_LIRC_CODEC=m
> CONFIG_IR_ENE=m
> CONFIG_IR_MCEUSB=m
>
> CONFIG_STAGING=y
> CONFIG_LIRC_STAGING=y
>
> Yet there was still something missing, because I could load the
> driver, but lircd would not connect to anything.
> The solution for me was
> LIRC_DEVICES="userspace"
>
> I did not need devinput, which was good for me, because I head you
> had to redo your lirc.conf using devinput.
>
> Take this all with a grain of salt, as I'm not a lirc expert, but
> this is what is working for me.

Well, I did work thru it yesterday, too. LIRC_DEVICES="devinput"

CONFIG_RC_CORE=y
CONFIG_LIRC=y
# CONFIG_RC_MAP is not set
# CONFIG_IR_NEC_DECODER is not set
CONFIG_IR_RC5_DECODER=y
# CONFIG_IR_RC6_DECODER is not set
# CONFIG_IR_JVC_DECODER is not set
# CONFIG_IR_SONY_DECODER is not set
# CONFIG_IR_RC5_SZ_DECODER is not set
# CONFIG_IR_LIRC_CODEC is not set
# CONFIG_IR_ENE is not set
# CONFIG_IR_IMON is not set
# CONFIG_IR_MCEUSB is not set
# CONFIG_IR_ITE_CIR is not set
# CONFIG_IR_NUVOTON is not set
# CONFIG_IR_STREAMZAP is not set
# CONFIG_IR_WINBOND_CIR is not set
# CONFIG_RC_LOOPBACK is not set

I'm using an Audiovox remote. Since I did not enable IR to LIRC
bridge /dev/lirc(x) is not created.
I had to enable evdev in kernel, this gives me /dev/input/event5 as IR.

cat /proc/bus/input/devices

I: Bus=0001 Vendor=7063 Product=5500 Version=0001
N: Name="cx88 IR (pcHDTV HD5500 HDTV)"
P: Phys=pci-0000:04:01.2/ir0
S: Sysfs=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1e.0/0000:04:01.2/rc/rc0/input5
U: Uniq=
H: Handlers=kbd event5
B: PROP=0
B: EV=100013
B: KEY=1000000 0 0
B: MSC=10

I put

LIRCD_OPTS="-H devinput -d /dev/input/by-path/pci-0000:04:01.2-event-ir"

into /etc/conf.d/lircd and to my surprise it works. Had to create a new
lircd.conf with irrecord of course, since I did not use in kernel maps.

--
Cheers, Saul