[mythtv-users] ZOTAC ION Motherboard - onboard supply?

Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Jul 27 00:32:33 UTC 2011

Sent from my iPhone

On 2011-07-22, at 9:47, David Watkins <watkinshome at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I would be surprised based on my experience of silent psus if the built in
>> unit was sufficient for two 3.5 drives and an optical drive.
>
> That tends to confirm my worry.
>
>> I would expect that the psu rating and max amps
>> on each voltage is in the user manual whcih can be downloaded from the zotac
>> website.
>
> I would too, but it's definitely not in the user manual supplied with
> the board; and I can't find the information on their website either.
>

> Thanks for the reply.

I have a Zotac ION which I tested as a mythbox before turning it into a VOIP box. It briefly touches 34watts during boot with one internal 3.5" drive then steady states at 26 watts. I am not sure offhand but I think it is using an 80 or 90 watt brick. I am sure that you could put more hardware on it without problems. You *might* want to have /etc/fstab mount only the OS drive and then use mount lines in /etc/rc.d/rc.local to mount them. IIRC you can use hdparm ( or *something*) to forestall spin up of drives before they are needed. ( like spin-down but different!).
Can't google it from here.
Geoff