[mythtv-users] Need help - audio shows in ubuntu mixer, records with Sound Recorder, but does not work in mythtv

James virtue at rocketmonkeys.com
Tue Jul 26 00:18:56 UTC 2011

I've got my mythtv almost working.  Video records now, firewire is
connected to my STB and 6200ch is changing the channels.  However, I
can't get the audio to record.

I have the audio out from my STB (RCA left/right) going to the 3.5mm
plug on my motherboard (line-in).  I went to the sound preferences in
ubuntu (11.04), "input" tab, and chose my onboard audio chip, then the
"Analog line-in".  I can see the audio meter working, so I know audio
is coming in on this input.

I tried the "Sound Recorder" program that came with Ubuntu, and that
records audio.  However, when I schedule a recording in mythtv, I just
get no audio at all.  I've played recordings back both with
mythfrontend (on the same machine), and downloaded & played on VLC on
my laptop.  Neither has audio, though if I increase the volume a lot I
can hear the slightest noise, probably just the noise of the sound
card input itself.

I looked at the mythtv-setup for my tuner card, and it has
"ALSA:default" as the sound input.  I've also used arecord and aplay
to record audio, and those work.

What's my next steps?  How do I troubleshoot the lack of audio?

Thanks!