[mythtv-users] Upgrading from old versions and preserving the database

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Jul 25 18:10:25 UTC 2011

On 07/25/2011 01:56 PM, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 25/07/11 17:53, Greg wrote:
>> On 07/25/2011 09:30 AM, DFishburn wrote:
>>> My backend is currently running on Ubuntu 7.04 with MythTV .21.
>>>
>>> Since this cannot be upgraded, I have to reinstall Ubuntu.
>>>
>>> I was planning on simply installing Mythbuntu 10-04, so that I move into
>>> the extended supported versions of Ubuntu and don't get back into this
>>> issue of not being able to upgrade.
>>>
>>> Since this essentially becomes a new machine with a fresh install (to
>>> MythTV .24) I am wondering how I manage the MySQL database.  A fresh
>>> install of .24 puts a blank database in there, but I really want it to
>>> use my old database and upgrade it appropriately.
>>>
>>> I searched through the wiki and user manual but didn't really find any
>>> reference to this.
>>>
>>> Can someone enlighten me, or at least point me to a document describing
>>> the correct approach.
>> This is what I have been using:
>>
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore
> Maybe this?
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Backend_migration

Yes, that's the exact approach you'll want to use.

Because you'll be getting a different MySQL version, you'll want to do a
full backup ( http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore )
on your 0.21-fixes system.  Note that the backup script will work with
any version of MythTV, so even though it's not shipped with 0.21-fixes,
you can download it (as described in the wiki page), then use it to make
a backup.

Then, after re-installed the operating system, you'll restore the
database, while replacing the existing database (
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Replacing_an_existing_database
).

I highly recommend using the same host name and IP address for your
machine, so that you don't have to change the host names in the
database, but if you must use a different host name, see
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Change_the_hostname_of_a_MythTV_frontend_or_backend
.  If you change the IP address, you'll need to re-run mythtv-setup and
update the IP address setting for "this backend" and possibly for the
master backend.

Since you're coming from an Ubuntu, your character set information
should be fine, but if you have any issues upgrading past the UTF-8
conversion, please make sure you keep the original full backup from the
0.21-fixes system and feel free to post any questions here.

Mike