[mythtv-users] Dishnetwork Dual receivers

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Mon Jul 25 14:47:55 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 10:39 AM, Dan Wilga
<mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu> wrote:
> Do you mean there's little hope for one from Hauppague (to be expected), or
> from the V4L developers? If the latter, would it help if we set up a bounty
> to buy someone a card?

Whether you choose to give them credit or not, a very large percentage
of the current v4l-dvb drivers were actually written by Hauppauge
employees.  That said, to write such a driver for the Colossus would
require either getting Vixs to cooperate to allow the datasheets
and/or reference driver code to be used for a GPL driver, or somebody
would have to reverse engineer it.  And reverse engineering a PCIe
device is *MUCH* more difficult than a USB product such as the HD-PVR
was (where it's fairly easy to sniff the wire protocol and replay the
messages until it starts streaming)...

Offering to buy somebody a card is noble, although there are very few
people out there with the requisite experience (or equipment) to write
such a driver.  In other words, if somebody offers to take a free card
from you, check their background first.

Cheers,

Devin

--