[mythtv-users] Problems installing second capture card - xmltv id issues?

John Reid johnbaronreid at netscape.net
Mon Jul 25 09:44:04 UTC 2011

On 25/07/11 09:35, David Watkins wrote:
> On 24 July 2011 10:52, John Reid<johnbaronreid at netscape.net>  wrote:
>> I've installed my nanostick alongside my Hauppauge 2250. The nanostick
>> seems to be working OK but I think I've messed up the channels on the
>> Hauppauge. I have 2 XMLTV video sources. One is connected to both
>> Hauppauge tuners and the other is connected to the nanostick. In the
>> MythWeb channel editor I have 3 entries for each channel (one for each
>> source id, I'm assuming the source ids represent the tuners). For those
>> that were missing xmltv ids I copied the known ids to make them the same
>> for all 3 entries for that channel. Was this the wrong thing to do? Do I
>> need a different xmltv id for the same channel if the guide data is
>> coming from a different video source?
> I'm assuming the nanostick is the DVBT2 device, giving you access to
> the extra HD channels not available on the 2250?
That's right
> If so, I think you should have two video sources, one connected to
> both the channels on the 2250, and the other connected to the
> nanostick.  The nanostick's source will contain all the same channels
> as the 2250's, plus the HD channels.
As pointed out elsewhere it is actually a 2200 not a 2250. I was
wondering if mythtv would try to tune the 2200 into the DVB-T2
broadcasts if I used the same source for both. Presumably you're
suggesting the above to stop this situation.
> In the backend setup I would recommend giving your cards and sources
> meaningful names (rather than accept the default) which helps when
> connecting source to tuner, and also makes troubleshooting easier if
> things go wrong.
I've been doing that, it is a real help
> Having done a channel scan on each capture card I then run a script
> (attached), slightly modified from the one on the wiki, which assigns
> visibility, channel number and xmltvid values to each channel based on
> their callsign.  Note that I use xmltv data for the mainline TV
> channels and EIT for the radio channels and some other TV channels of
> borderline interest.  My channel list is likely to be slightly out of
> date (new freeview channels seem to appear and disappear from time to
> time) and you may have different channel visibility preferences.
> (tv_grab_uk_rt has a 'listchannels" option which will show you what
> channels are available).
I'll have a go at this later.
> I run mythfilldatabase externally using cron (script attached).  I do
> a single tv_grab_uk_rt run, and then two mythfilldatabase runs, one
> for each source.  I presume that if you configure mythbackend to run
> mythfilldatabase then this is taken care of for you, but I'm not sure
> how.
>
> HTH
Thanks for the help,
John.