[mythtv-users] Help - Lirc broken after upgrade to 0.9.0

Per Hatlevik jakeisawake at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 18:06:55 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 11:19 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 12:02 PM, Duncan Brown <mythtv at duncb.co.uk> wrote:
>> Not sure if its just because I'm using the media_build drivers, but I
>> have to use devinput for my mceusb receiver
>>
>> In fact if I start lirc with default set, it wont start and suggests I
>> should be using devinput..
>
> There's been a lot of changes in lirc recently.  The table on
> lirc.org's site still lists mceusb as using the default driver:
>
> http://lirc.org/html/table.html
>
> When I run lircd, I don't supply any --driver on the command line and
> it works for me with the mceusb hardware that I have.
>
> mythtered% uname -a
> Linux mythtered 2.6.39-2-amd64 #1 SMP Wed Jun 8 11:01:04 UTC 2011
> x86_64 GNU/Linux
> mythtered% dpkg --status lirc | grep Version
> Version: 0.9.0~pre1-1
>
> Eric

i ran into the same problem last week. lirc 0.9.0 has removed the
mceusb driver. i followed the how-to here:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/LIRC#Migrating_to_kernel_.3E.3D_2.6.36.2B_and_LIRC_0.9.0.2B_.28or_2.6.35_on_Fedora_14.29

i'm on debian and using devinput worked for me. remote is working
beautifully and no more need to compile lirc drivers every time i
upgrade my kernel!

i didn't have to change a thing in mythtv, just had to edit my .lircrc
because all the key names changed but that wasn't to hard with the
help of irw. apparently mythbuntu has an lircrc creator script so that
should make it even easier for you. here's my hardware.conf if it
helps:

# /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
#
# Arguments which will be used when launching lircd
LIRCD_ARGS=""

#Don't start lircmd even if there seems to be a good config file
#START_LIRCMD=false

#Don't start irexec, even if a good config file seems to exist.
#START_IREXEC=false

#Try to load appropriate kernel modules
LOAD_MODULES=true

# Run "lircd --driver=help" for a list of supported drivers.
DRIVER="devinput"
# usually /dev/lirc0 is the correct setting for systems using udev
DEVICE="/dev/input/by-id/usb-Philips_eHome_Infrared_Transceiver_PH00Z7ZT-event-if00"
MODULES=""

# Default configuration files for your hardware if any
LIRCD_CONF=""
LIRCMD_CONF=""

hope that helps!

peace