[mythtv-users] Help - Lirc broken after upgrade to 0.9.0

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Sat Jul 23 05:27:04 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 12:15 AM, Jeff Cranmer <jeff at lotussevencars.com> wrote:
> Previously, I used LIRC with only the mceusb

You still need to use mceusb.

> LIRC devices option set in
> make.conf.  Now that driver is defunct,

No, it isn't.

> and there is a devinput driver which only half-replaces it.

devinput doesn't replace mceusb at all.  devinput is for devices that
present themselves as human interface devices.  mceusb is not (yet) a
hid.

> The obvious question is 'what replaces the transmitter?'

Nothing.

>  Do I need to add another option to LIRC_DEVICES in make.conf to pull in the transmitter driver?

I'm not  familiar with that aspect of lirc.

> Running the lirc daemon by hand, the messages were
> lircd(devinput) ready, using /var/run/lirc/lircd
> accepted new client on /var/run/lirc/lircd
> initializing /dev/lirc0
> can't get exclusive access to events coming from the '/dev/lirc0' interface

I should have been more clear.  You need to first shut down any other
instance of lirc that might be running.  lircd should use the default
driver, not devinput.

Eric