[mythtv-users] AutoExpire: Oldest Show First, yet newly recorded shows still expire...

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jul 22 17:15:51 UTC 2011

On 07/22/2011 10:25 AM, Steven Adeff wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 1:34 PM, Steven Adeff wrote:
>>> The info I requested in the ticket I linked earlier would be nice.
>>>
>>> http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/7936#comment:18
>>>
>>> (might as well do -v file,extra , though).  And please make sure it
>>> actually shows a run of the expirer that includes deleting a file.
>> oops, missed that part, will do. thanks!
> here's my log for the last few days.
> http://indierocksteve.dyndns.org/users/tincanfury/expirelog.log
> also, here is a PDF from MythWeb of the "Deleted" recording group.
> http://indierocksteve.dyndns.org/users/tincanfury/MythWeb%20-%20Recorded%20Programs.pdf
>
> So my beef is that there are so many recordings in the
> "Expired"/Deleted group that while they still exist on the drive are
> not shown in the Watch Recordings listing.

I was going to say, "Auto-expire does not put recordings into the
Deleted recording group.  Its purpose is to make sure you don't run out
of space on your hard drive, and the only way it can do that is to
actually remove files from the hard drive.  So, when something is in the
deleted recording group, it's because you (or someone else, or some
script that's running on your system) told MythTV to delete the
recording, meaning, 'I don't want to see this recording the the Watch
Recordings screen, anymore.'"

However, when I look at your logs, I see:

2011-07-22 08:12:30.647 Expiring 2446 MB for 4830 at 2011-07-20T01:30:00
=> "The League":"Sunday at Ruxin's"

which is the 2nd show on your PDF of Deleted recordings.  So, all I can
say is that something is very wrong here.

>   I understand for shows
> where you have a "No. of recordings to keep" value set why this would
> be, and for those (news and some sporting events) I understand why
> they've been moved. But as you can see there are also TV series where
> no value for  "No. of recordings to keep" is given, and that are only
> a few days old have also been moved to the Expired/Deleted group.
>
> I have six 500GB drives dedicated solely to recordings each drive on
> it's own in the Recordings storage group. I tell Myth then to keep 2GB
> free on each drive.
>
> I'd love to know why a show like The League which only recorded a few
> days ago has already been moved to the Expired/Deleted group. Or, for
> that matter, any series without a value set for  "No. of recordings to
> keep" is moved there and not shown in Watch Recordings when it still
> exists and is a very long time away from actually needing to be
> deleted.

All I can say is that it's probably for the same reason that things are
ending up in the Deleted recording group instead of actually being
expired/removed from disk.  My guess is that because the auto-expirer
isn't doing its job--making room on the HDD--it keeps expiring things,
and notices that it still needs more space on the HDD, until it's caught
up to current recordings.

Again, I need to see the -v file,extra logs to really see what's
happening, though.

Also, what file system is Sunday at Ruxin's on?  Is it a local file
system or remote?  If remote, how is it mounted (NFS, CIFS, ...)?  Are
all of these Deleted shows (at least the ones that you're pretty sure
were auto-expired to Deleted) on the same file system/disk?  If so, is
there something different about that disk/file system/mount point/...?

Mike