[mythtv-users] Transcoding to h.264 while staying in Myth?

Andrew Bernat abernat at zathras.net
Fri Jul 22 16:15:23 UTC 2011

Is there a good mechanism in MythTV to transcode recorded MPEG-2 files to h.264 while keeping them "in" MythTV?

As background, I am playing around with running XBMC on my iPad as an alternative Myth frontend. I've got XBMC set up and talking to my server just fine, but the recordings play back really choppily. This is undoubtedly due to the recordings being in MPEG-2 (from a OTA HDTV recording card) and the iPad not having hardware acceleration.

I've seen several transcoding threads, but they were all focused on exporting Myth recordings for use outside of the Myth system - such as podcasts, etc. I'd like the recordings to stay "in" Myth and be useable from other myth frontends.

Thanks!
Drew Bernat