[mythtv-users] what is the cat's ass of integrated "set top box" like hardware now?

Chris Finley debenbain at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 21:16:35 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 7:59 AM, Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net> wrote:

> On 21/07/2011 14:14, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> > Is the ION2 a very capable VDPAU chipset?  It does seem to be a
> > "features C" chipset, with "D" being the only higher rating.  Is it
> > capable of the most advanced/aggressive de-interlacing @1920x1080?
>
> I thought I'd read that ION2 was slower than the original ION because
> of some problem getting information out of Intel necessary for
> getting a fast connection between the graphics chip and the CPU.
> Can't remember where I read it now.
>
> Paul.

Ion versus Ion Next Gen
Here is a great article on the subject:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3702/zotacs-zbox-hdid11-review-next-gen-ion-better-worse-than-ion1

"NVIDIA plans to release an updated driver in June that fixes the problem by
executing more of the Flash loop on the GPU itself, thus avoiding that
costly trip to system memory.
This is a big enough problem today where if you plan on watching any Flash
videos in anything other than a 480p window (or slightly larger), I'd hold
off on a NG-ION purchase."

I don't know if recent drivers have fixed the performance problem with
flash.

I have a Zotac Ion Next gen that runs minimyth, the performance with H.264
(1080p) has been great. I don't play anything that needs flash.

Chris