[mythtv-users] Support for WinTV-DCR-2650?

James virtue at rocketmonkeys.com
Thu Jul 21 18:48:40 UTC 2011

I realize this will probably be a popular question soon, but I
searched and didn't find much on it.

What's the future look like for support for the upcoming Hauppauge
WinTV-DCR-2650?  I'm planning on getting a cablecard tuner for my
mythtv box, and right now it looks like the choices are the Centon
InfinityTV 4, the HDHomeRun Prime, and this new Hauppauge
WinTV-DCR-2650.

I know there are differences in connectivity, # of tuners, etc.
However, I'm mainly interested in mythtv support.  I know (or do I?)
that the HDHomerun Prime will stream "copy freely" shows to mythtv.
I've read that someone is working on InfinityTV support as well for
the same support.

What is the likelyhood that this USB tuner will be supported in linux,
and specifically by mythtv?  I realize that there may not be any solid
answers yet, but it's strange that I couldn't even find many people
asking about this in my (limited) searching.

I actually have the HDhomerun prime on order, mainly because it
(theoretically) has mythtv support.  The infinitytv looks tempting,
but w/o working mythtv it's less attractive to me.  It seems the
HDhomerun prime may be more mature when it ships.  I may consider
cancelling my order for this cheaper box, but only if I can get it
working with mythtv.

Thanks!