[mythtv-users] what is the cat's ass of integrated "set top box" like hardware now?

Robert Longbottom rongblor at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 21 12:25:07 UTC 2011

On 21 Jul 2011, at 11:49 AM, Ramon Hofer <ramonhofer at bluewin.ch> wrote:

> On 07/20/2011 04:25 PM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
>> cat's ass definition:
>> http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cats%20ass
>>
>> I've got a Revo 1600 with the ION chipset in it.  In terms of a nice
>> small piece of hardware that I can hide behind the TV and it does
>> everything (self-contained, VDPAU, HDMI out) I want in a "set top box"
>> form factor.
>>
>> It's time to move that to the bedroom, with it's lower resolution
>> (1300x768 or so) and get something new for the 1920x1080 in the living room.
>>
>> What is a good replacement for the Revo these days?  It's not a hard
>> requirement (since most of my source is SDTV anyway) but having a more
>> powerful (vdpau, or otherwise) decoder might be nice.  But even without
>> a more advanced Nvidia chipset, what is the cat's ass in "set top box"
>> like hardware these days?  I want it small enough to tuck behind a wall
>> mounted TV and quiet enough to have in a living room, so that rules out
>> most piecemeal building projects.
>
> Have you had a look at the AT5IONT-I Asus board? [1]
> There's one with WLAN and one without.
>
> In combination with a silverstone LC05 (or if you need an optical device
> a LC09) [2] and some ram this would be a nice diskless MiniMyth System.
>
> To be honest I don't know if it's not getting to hot.
> It's quite hard to get in touch with the Asus sales service as the one
> from Germany doesn't answer questions from Switzerland and a Swiss sales
> service doesn't seem to exist...
>

> [1]
> http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_CPU_on_Board/AT5IONTI/#specifications
> [2]
> http://www.silverstonetek.com/product_case.php?tno=0&case=c_slim&area=usa
>

> Ramon

I've been following this thread with interest because I'm in the Market for a small nvidia power front end only machine.

Has anyone tried the jetway jbc600 system from linitx? Http://linitx.com/product/12973

It looks pretty good and comes with ion2, gigabit LAN and remote.

However they are out of stock at the minute

Robert.