[mythtv-users] Mythweb finds no remote controllable frontends

E. Westbrook mythtv-users at westbrook.com
Thu Jul 21 12:12:04 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 09:55, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>wrote:

> This is why we generally try to use the in-database information to find
> hosts, rather than just assume that every network has name resolution
> properly configured.

Many (I daresay most), don't have local resolution at all, so the need is
certainly there.

However, I hope we can be sure not to cause problems for those that do
properly set up their networks, and for whom the infrastructure should be
relied on and used as 100% authoritative in these matters.

For example, by necessity, I use the "hostname" key to identify different
groups of settings for different purposes.  This always troubles me, but
it's simply how it's done, apparently, to have named groups of settings in
MythTV for different purposes.  I haven't encountered a place where that
misnomer breaks anything, but I worry.  And it seems to me that this is
where it could likely surface.

Thoughts?
Eric