[mythtv-users] Comcast CableCard Info

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Thu Jul 21 11:51:57 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 10:40 PM, john.baab at gmail.com
<john.baab at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well the idea is that you don't pair them so you don't get premium
> (copy protected) channels, but you still get any copy freely content.
> I was told this by a Silicon Dust employee so I trust it will work.

This seems unlikely.  Copy freely channels still usually require a
subscription, and I don't think the cable card will have access to
your account info and know which channels you are supposed to receive
unless it is paired.

Since, as mythTV users, we won't get copy protected channels under any
circumstances, if this were true it would mean there's no point in
ever pairing the card.

Eric