[mythtv-users] what is the cat's ass of integrated "set top box" like hardware now?

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Wed Jul 20 15:20:12 UTC 2011

On 11-07-20 11:12 AM, Tim Draper wrote:
> if i were buying now, a core i3 and passive nvidia card would be high on my
> list.

OK.

> i3's should give low power consumption- comparible to the atoms but with a
> higher TDP and more processing capability for transcoding. (not that i do
> transcode.. some people do though)Cheers,

An Atom has served me very well since I have (and I should have
mentioned this in my original posting) a separate backend that can have
transcoding/commflagging horsepower if need be.

So, this piece of hardware I am looking for is strictly a front-end only.

Who is building an i3 based machine with a passively cooled nvidia card
in a "set top box" format like the acer revo?  I think one term that has
been coined for them is "nettop" although I'm not convinced that is
universal.

Cheers,
b.