[mythtv-users] AutoExpire: Oldest Show First, yet newly recorded shows still expire...

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 01:42:44 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 11:21 AM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>> All Programs group when they are set to "expire"?
>>
>> Recordings are never placed into the Deleted recording group unless
>> someone deletes the recording (or, actually, if you were to set up a
>> recording rule to store a recording to the Deleted recording group, that
>> would "delete" the recording as soon as it starts).  So, I have to
>> believe that if your recording rule is properly configured, someone is
>> actually deleting these recordings.  (On the bright side, since you're
>> using the Deleted recording group, if you don't want them to be deleted,
>> you can undelete them.  Just go to the Deleted recording group in Watch
>> Recordings and add all the recordings to the playlist with MENU
>> (possibly 2x)|Add this Group to Playlist, then MENU|Playlist
>> options|Storage Options|Change Recording Group and select an appropriate
>> group, such as Default.)
>
> interesting, I'll have to see how things play out from there then on
> this. I don't think anyone in the house is deleting recordings (mostly
> because some of the ones that were deleted were shows only I
> watch...).
> I'll check the recording schedules, but I don't believe any are
> recording into the deleted group, but you never know...
>
>>> that said, I don't have the expirer using the watched status (we have
>>> 4+ people that use the system so this feature doesn't work for us,
>>> I've had it turned off for a while), and I have enough storage space
>>> to hold about 3-4weeks worth of shows (according to my currently
>>> recorded listing) so I have tried to set it up so it will only use the
>>> recording age to determine expiration. the users know how to set
>>> something to not expire if they won't be able to watch it within that
>>> ~3 weeks of recording age.
>>>
>>> I pulled everything out of the "deleted" group and am hoping
>>> mythbackend "re-figures" the expiration thing, which so far it looks
>>> to be doing. I'll see how it goes for now and report back.
>>
>> Yeah, sounds like you have it re-fixed.  Just might want to check your
>> recording rules to see if someone accidentally chose the Deleted
>> recording group for one or more of them.
>
> will do!
>

>> Also, you might want to check to make sure your MythWeb is properly
>> secured.  Programs could also be deleted by some miscreant who found an
>> open/insecure MythWeb and is either trying to send you a message or
>> who's (less-than-efficiently) trying to wreak havoc on your system
>> (since he hasn't realized he has to delete a recording from the Deleted
>> recording group to actually delete the file).
>
> I have it password protected through apache and the only people that
> have access are the people that live here. If someone's "hacked" it
> I'd be surprised, mostly cause this is the only thing that they've
> done and that's a little strange.
>

>> For what it's worth, a better way to send a message is to schedule a
>> 1min manual recording with the title, "Your MythWeb is insecure"--not

well, I just got home to find that a few recordings made last night
and this morning were all "expired" within a few hours after
commercial flagging was completed. I had to check through the logs to
find out exactly what happened, but all it shows is is that it expired
the program, which is weird as right now all my recording drives have
>40GB of free space and I've only set MythTV to maintain 2GB of empty
space.

is there a log output I can set that will give me more detailed
information as to how Myth is deciding what to expire?

thanks!

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!