[mythtv-users] Hauppauge USB CableCard Tuner for $129!

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 16:53:52 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 12:45 PM, Craig Huff <huffcslists at gmail.com> wrote:
> Slightly off topic: I'm currently using Comcast DTAs feeding my Hauppauge
> PVR-500s for SD content. If I understand this thread correctly, I can
> replace all that with one or more of these, get the same functionality (or
> better), and reduce how much money I donate each month to Comcast. Is that
> correct?

basically, yes. what this will let you do, with the installation of a
CableCard, is capture the mpeg stream for any channels Comcast has set
to copy-freely in DRM scheme used by the cable companies. for Comcast
this is almost all the basic cable channels and some others. I find
that all but Comedy Central HD works for me, and others seemingly have
the same experience. That said, you may not get all the channels your
looking to record this way. Most will keep a cable box with an HDPVR
or as you have a PVR-500, for the channels that don't work with one of
the CableCard devices.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!