[mythtv-users] Mythweb finds no remote controllable frontends

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Tue Jul 19 15:12:37 UTC 2011

On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 15:28:09 +0200, Ramon Hofer <ramonhofer at bluewin.ch>
wrote:
> On 07/19/2011 02:18 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>> In MythTV, all settings are indexed against the machine hostname in the
>> database.  When MythWeb scans for accessible frontends, it looks up the
>> port and hostname for any frontend listed as having the network control
>> port active.  It then relies on a functional resolving framework to be
>> available on your system to find the host.
>>
>> Backends, on the other hand, are connected using the IP.  When
frontends
>> or MythWeb want to connect, they look up the address for that hostname
>> through the database, rather than relying on the host's resolving
>> capability.  He is suggesting you patch MythWeb to use that address
when
>> available, and then run mythtv-setup on each frontend to define that IP
>> as if you were going to run a backend.
> If I understand you correct you want me to patch mythweb that it looks
> in the mysql database to resolve the frontend IP adresses?

No, I was simply elaborating what Michael was suggesting.  However, if
your frontends are dynamically assigned using DHCP, using static addresses
defined in the database or hosts file is not a tenable solution.  The
easiest option will probably be to put static assignments into your dhcp
config, and then define those addresses in your DNS server.  Or, you can
have each machine statically choose its own address and a host file.

The ideal solution would be for mythbackend to track connected frontends,
and which ones are running a control socket.  Then add a command that
MythWeb can poll to find available machines to connect to.  As it stands,
MythWeb simply attempts connection to all frontends with a port listed in
the database, and waits for a timeout.  Personally, I don't think this
system is worth trying to improve upon, rather than outright replacement.

> But I still don't understand how I could run mythtv-setup on the
> frontend since there's no mythtv-setup on my frontends?
> I must understand it wrong that I have to set my frontends to
> backend/frontend combos?

That's not really a MythTV problem.  The MythTV source installs all
binaries on all systems.  It does not support a frontend-only installation
with no mythtv-setup.