[mythtv-users] Mythweb finds no remote controllable frontends

Ramon Hofer ramonhofer at bluewin.ch
Tue Jul 19 14:46:45 UTC 2011

On 07/19/2011 03:54 PM, Bill Meek wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-07-19 at 15:28 +0200, Ramon Hofer wrote:
>> But I still don't understand how I could run mythtv-setup on the
>> frontend since there's no mythtv-setup on my frontends?
>
> Hi;
>
> Try: ssh -X yourBackendHostname mythtv-setup
>
> Bill

Thanks Bill!
This opens mythtv-setup on my backend machine through a graphical ssh
tunnel.

But in my setup this only works when I set the host to my backend
machine in ~/.ssh/config.
If I don't do that I have to use the IP address.

And there won't be different settings if I open mythtv-setup on
different frontend machines?

Actually I don't understand what Mike wrote in his answer:

On 07/19/2011 11:08 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> at least for those
> frontend hosts whose IP addresses have been specified by configuring the
> "this" backend IP address in mythtv-setup (which also means you'll need
> to configure the "this" backend IP address in mythtv-setup on all your
> frontend hosts).

What does he mean with the "this" backend IP adress?
Maybe it is the master backend setting in the mythtv-setup?
Then all frontend connect to the master backend?

I think my problem is that I can't resolve local hostnames in my LAN.
Therefore I think I'll have to create a local zone for bind9 and in a
second step have my local zone file filled automatically with dhcp as
described here: http://www.semicomplete.com/articles/dynamic-dns-with-dhcp/

Then I should be able to connect to the machines with ssh and mythweb
directly without having to edit ~/.ssh/config or /etc/hosts.

Cheers
Ramon