[mythtv-users] Mythweb finds no remote controllable frontends

Ramon Hofer ramonhofer at bluewin.ch
Tue Jul 19 10:11:43 UTC 2011

On 07/19/2011 11:08 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 07/19/2011 04:20 AM, Ramon Hofer wrote:
>> I have several frontends with "Network remote control interface" enabled.
>> There's no problem controlling the frontend by either 'telnet localhost
>> 6546' or 'netcat localhost 6546'.
>> Also from a different machine e.g. the backend it's possible to connect
>> and control the frontends with 'telnet 192.168.1.61 6546' or 'netcat
>> 192.168.1.61 6546'.
>>
>> But it's not possible to control them from mythweb.
>> It tells me that "No frontends allow remote control".
>>
>> Maybe the problem is that I can't connect from the backend machine using
>> the hostname 'telnet htpc 6546'. But I can connect with the exact same
>> command from the machine with the hostname htpc.
>>
>> I have a dhcp3 and bind9 server running on a little board. But I
>> couldn't manage to get hostname's resolved with dynamic dns.
>> Should I first try to resolve this or may there be different problem?
>>
> To see if that's the problem, just add a couple of temporary entries for
> the frontend hosts in /etc/hosts .  If you can then use MythWeb's
> frontend remote control, you can submit a patch that changes the MythWeb
> code to use IP address, as looked up from settings--at least for those
> frontend hosts whose IP addresses have been specified by configuring the
> "this" backend IP address in mythtv-setup (which also means you'll need
> to configure the "this" backend IP address in mythtv-setup on all your
> frontend hosts).

Thanks for your suggestion, Mike.

It worked with a /etc/hosts entry on the backend machine.
I can control the frontend with the remote key controls from mythweb.
But when I choose a recorded program in mythweb and then click on the
frontend's name below "Play Recording on Frontend" the frontend only
changes to the "Watch Recordings" page and doesn't play the recording
directly.
Is this the normal behaviour?

I don't know exactly what you mean with the "this" backend setting.
I only have one backend. It has no combined frontend. In mythtv-setup on
this machine I have set the IP address to the machines IP address in the
LAN. But there's nothing to set for the frontends in mythtv-setup.
On the frontends I have set the Setup > General > Database Server
Settings > Hostname to the backends IP address.

The mythtv version I use is v0.24.1.

Best regards
Ramon