[mythtv-users] *MUTTER* LIRC on a Fresh Mythbuntu 11.04 with Serial Receiver

Douglas Wagner douglasw0 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 01:58:15 UTC 2011

Ok, I'm SURE this is easy.

I am re-working my myth setup in the house for better WAF.  Moving from
shared front end/back end to a Client Server architecture.

Working on a front end only system at this point and I need to have LIRC
working.

I have a home brew Infra red receiver plugged into the serial port.  Copied
over my 10.04 (maybe it's 10.10 now) old backend configuration which
includes the "lirc_serial" driver in the /etc/lirc/hardware.conf file.

When I go to reload LIRC it tells me it can't find the "lirc_serial" kernel
module at this point and looking at the lib/modules area shows the kernel
module for it DOES NOT exist.

As I said, I"m sure this is silly, but how the heck do I get a serial LIRC
device to load under Mythbuntu 11.04 and/or what package am I missing to
install the rest of the LIRC drivers, including the serial driver.

I also note (though I haven't needed it in the past) that a "generic" serial
setup in the mythbuntu control center for LIRC is simply not available as an
option in the drop down anymore.  I'm missing something "new" with changes
to LIRC in the last 3 releases but I have no idea what.

HELP?

--Douglas Wagner