[mythtv-users] Hauppauge 2250

Tom Bongiorno two.bits.11 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 12:30:22 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 10:24 PM, Patrick Oglesby <octoberblu3 at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 7:22 PM, Saul A Peebsen <jaglover at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > A friend of mine is ready to try out MythTV, since this is his first
> > adventure to the Linux world I recommended Mythbuntu.
> > The trouble is the box he wants to use has only one slot for expansion
> > cards and it is PCIe x1, half size.
> > Analog is important, this PVR is going to be used for analog cable
> > here in the US.
> >
> > The only tuner card that seems to fit hardware-wise is HaupPauge 2250
> > (or 1250).
> >
> > I've been Googling to find out if analog side of these cards works, but
> > found nothing recent. I did find a post in Ubuntu forums that claimed
> > drivers are included in 2.6.37, but there was no confirmation.
> >
> > I browsed kernel sources but couldn't find it.
> >
> > I do not want him to shell out $$$ only to find it does not work.
> >
> > So the question is, how hard (if possible at all) is to get this card
> > working with newest kernels?
> >
> > The second question is whether there is anything else he could use, USB
> > maybe?
> >

> Digital support for this card was added around kernel 2.6.32, and with
> analog support being added in 2.6.37
>
> You may need to download firmware from here
> http://www.kernellabs.com/blog/?cat=3
>
> If you are running a kernel newer than 2.6.37 and you have the correct
> firmware installed in the right spot, then the card will just be
> recognized upon booting and the appropriate video devices will be
> automatically created (/dev/dvb/adapterX for digital where X is 0 and
> 1 most likely, and /dev/videoX for analog, where X will again be 0 and
> 1 unless you have a webcam also, which may cause numbering problems)
>
> Set up in MythTV as DVB and MPEG devices, respecively.
>
> You can also consider USB devices, but analog support on those can
> vary wildly.  Also, the HVR-1250 does not have it's analog supported
> in linux as the 1250 analog is a dumb framegrabber versus the hardware
> MPEG encoder for the 2250.
>
> - Patrick

So if I fresh install Mythbuntu 11.04 (2.6.38.8-generic) and drop the
correct firmware files in /lib/firmware, it should all just work?  That
would be great.  I just have to identify the correct firmware files...

I am a little confused though because I have been reading a thread in the
Mythbuntu forums on how to compile for 11.04.

-Tom