[mythtv-users] WAaay OT: Just trying to pick the brains of anyone who can help ... Batch txt edit insert title

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Jul 15 10:04:00 UTC 2011

At 20:26 +1200 15/7/11, Nick Rout wrote:
>On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 11:55 AM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 6:05 PM, Damian <myth at surr.co.uk> wrote:
>>>  Thanks for the tips everyone (and the lmgtfy.com link .. that made me
>>>  laugh. Although I'd never heard of 'sed' so that would have been hard to
>>>  search for).
>>
>>  Hehe. Yeah, I was hoping you wouldn't take it the wrong way :) It's
>>  just too much fun not to use it!
>
>I always preferred
>http://www.justfuckinggoogleit.com/search.pl?query=sed+input+first+line

Gives a 403 error from Google for me.

But of course, smart-**** answers like that assume the OP actually
knew what sed is and that it might be an appropriate tool for the
job. Personally I think the job can be done as well as (if not
easier) without sed seeing as most of the work is required to get the
sed edit string - and once you've done that, a quick echo and cat
will do the job without having to figure out a cryptic sed command.

I've seen similar tone in other lists/forums - OP asks a simple
question leading to a flame war where people insist <their favourite
tool> (usually Perl, Python as a runner up) is the only tool for the
job and using <whatever the OP already knows> (eg Bash) is just plain
stupid.

Just my 2d worth.

--
Simon Hobson