[mythtv-users] Big mythmusic scan problem

Paul Harrison mythtv at sky.com
Fri Jul 15 09:21:19 UTC 2011

On 15/07/11 08:27, The GUIGuy wrote:
> I've exhausted the 'net and other mythtv forums to find a solution to my
> problem and have now ended up here:
>
> I am using mythbuntu 11.04 and mythtv 0.24 combined backend/ frontend .
>
> Music scanning never finishes; the music scan is reading in literally
> 10s of thousands of directory names, but none are circular references.
> It reads these into the music_directories table of the mythconverge db.
> It seems to me it is reading the complete directory tree starting at /
>
> I have isolated the frontend/ backend PC so at least it is not scouring
> all over the network, removed all none essential mounts and as much as I
> can eliminated any chance of rogue symbolic links.
>
> If I then go to Utilities/ Setup > Setup > Media Settings > Music
> Settings, mythtv immediately starts "Looking for music files" and begins
> reading the directory tree into  the "music_directories table". This it
> will continue do do for hours. Usually after a few hours I give up and
> kill the task,
>
> If I go to play music, it does the same.
>
> If I use "Music Tools" > Scan for new music, nothing happens.
>
> I've dropped the music tables and recreated them by a reboot and restart.
>
> Unfortunately I don't have a database back up that pre-dates the
> problem, so a restore wouldn't help. My money was on a circular link but
> I can't find it. In any case, the data being read into music_directories
> is not repeating.
>
> Any ideas, short of a fresh install?
>
> Thanks

One way would be to set the 'MusicLocation' setting for the host you are
using to the correct directory. You would normally do that using the
settings screen but it sounds like you can't get to them because
MythMusic is trying to be too smart and noticing you haven't any tracks
in the db performing a scan for you even though the music location is
pointing to '/'.

I think you are going to have to manually set the setting in the db for
now until the bug is fixed. Something like this should do it :-
UPDATE settings SET data='path/to/music/directory/' WHERE
value='MusicLocation' AND hostname='host name of frontend';

Paul H.