[mythtv-users] I got my Ceton InfiniTV 4 working in 0.24-fixes (compiled with custom code)

Alex Halovanic halovanic at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 04:40:34 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 11:58 PM, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net> wrote:

> > I'd be quite interested in hearing about your CableCard setup struggles.
> > just picked up my card from WOW and will be going through the activation
> > once the Prime ships.
>
> Wait....you got WOW to give you a card for a self install? That's what
> I wanted to do, but they would not give me the option. When they
> wanted to schedule an installation appointment, I specifically asked
> if I could just get the card and do a self install, and they told me
> they can't do it.

> Before I got my card, I had my ceton working in linux as a QAM tuner.
> We inserted the cable card, and the ceton's control panel instantly
> recognized the card was installed. The tech called in the info and
> paired it, but the Ceton kept saying the card was unauthorized. He
> double checked things, and get the NOC to verify everything, but no
> luck. He had 1 more cablecard, so we swapped it out. He paired it to
> the new card, NOC confirmed they had the info, but nothing was working
> still. He called his supervisor looking for suggestion, but no luck.
> Nobody really knew what to do. At this point, the tech had been at my
> house for 1 hour.
>
> On the dslreports.com website, there is a forum for WOW cable, and
> there is an employee there (Dan) who works in the NOC. The guy has
> been really helpful with everyone, and I knew he had personally setup
> a Ceton in Windows, so he had a little bit of experience with the
> card. I sent him an IM through the forum (and included my phone
> number). Two minutes later, the install tech's phone was ringing...it
> was Dan. He tried talking through some things with the tech, but he
> wasn't familiar with this sort of stuff (he'd just installed
> cablecards in a few Tivos), so he just handed me the phone and I
> talked with Dan. We worked through a whole bunch of stuff...trying to
> swap cablecards, wiping my account, authorizing me for everything.
> Nothing worked. After a half hour of the tech just sitting there while
> we talked, we decided to let the tech leave while we worked the rest
> out over the phone.
>
> Finally, we figured lets see if we can get this up and running in my
> Windows 7 machine. Maybe it would upgrade the firmware (we couldn't
> find any firmware on ceton's website other than the beta firmware) and
> that would solve the problem. Put it in, installed the drivers &
> diagnostic utility, but it wouldn't recognize the card. I reset the
> card's network settings, and now the utility could see the card. It
> said there was newer firmware, so I had it install it. It said it
> succeeded, but after a reboot, it once again said I had the old
> firmware and there was a newer version available. We toyed around with
> a few things here, and we got some of the checkboxes in the utility to
> be green, but there were still several red X's. However, when I went
> into the Ceton's control panel, it was now saying that the card was
> [...]

When I brought it up to a tier-3 support tech, they didn't think they
allowed a self install either, but suggested I ask at the local WOW office.
When I got there, they handed over an M card right away (they had a whole
stack of M and S cards) and said I would just have to call up and work
through activating it and getting the device up over the phone.

Thanks for the info, I'm crossing my fingers that most of this was due to
the Ceton device being an early model with some buggy firmware.  I'll be
sure to check out the reports on that forum.

The point about the HD flag is interesting; apparently with WOW you only get
your HD package when you add any other package of digital channels on top of
the basic one.  But of course for 99.9% of people that means signing up for
an HD receiver/DVR, otherwise you'll still only get SD.  So I'm guessing
since you didn't have one of those on the account, they assumed you weren't
getting any HD and didn't set the flag.

-Alex