[mythtv-users] Best distro for mythtv

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Thu Jul 14 18:22:47 UTC 2011

On 7/14/2011 13:41, John Drescher wrote:
>>> I had those in my own svn overlay that I eventually migrated to github and then at some later point I migrated to a different git overlay that MarcT has. I am a contributor on that overlay but I rarely do so since it works most of the time I upgrade.
>> The problem I've always had with Marc's builds is that they have no
>> version.  You're always just reinstalling version 9999, so you can never
>> just let MythTV get picked up by a world update.  If you want to change
>> version, you have to edit your make.conf, rather than the proper method
>> of altering your ebuild.  It just seems like a messy way of doing things.
> After doing this both ways I actually like it this way better since I
> upgrade MythTV a lot less than upgrading world and I really only want
> MythTV to be upgraded when I know I will have enough time to test
> (before the scheduled weekday programing).

If you're running the -fixes branch, there should be no need to worry or
test things out.  If you're running trunk, then you should be keeping up
with trunk as you're there to provide another system profile to test for
bugs against.  If you're running trunk in production, well then you know
what you're getting into running developmental software.

> As for versioned ebuilds, I do not really miss that because I run
> quick-pkg before an upgrade so if anything goes wrong in my testing
> I just revert to the packaged versions and call it a day..

I have something similar in purpose, but very much different in design.
All of my Gentoo boxes are booted over the network, from their own iSCSI
disk image.  Any time I update, I chroot into a separate dedicated image
and update world.  Then all the Gentoo boxes get rebooted into a holding
pattern in pxelinux, their old images are shuffled out of the way, and a
new image is cloned in from the build image.  Each machine boots into
the build image, pulls its own overlay of configuration files, and then
reboots into its now differentiated system.  If anything goes wrong, I
keep copies of the previous three images for each system, and can boot
straight into them at will, either by selecting it at the console, or
tweaking the pxelinux config file.  I still prefer to have a record of
package versions, so I can look in the ebuild history and figure out
what was installed where.