[mythtv-users] radeonfb (with FRC patches) - PAL Interlaced, Composite Sync

Nicholas J. Martin nicholas.martin2 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 17:19:56 UTC 2011

Has anybody got a working setup with radeonfb and the ATI SCART cable
from the wiki? I can't get the FRC patched radeonfb driver to work
properly with my TV. I'm using the kernel source from here:

git://projects.vdr-developer.org/linux-next-frc.git

I have a Radeon 7000 and I've made the SCART cable listed on the
MythTV wiki with no trickery to make a csync from hsync + vsync - the
Radeon 7000 outputs a composite sync. I've got X working well on my TV
with the following Modeline (I had to reduce the resolution to
compensate for overscan):

Modeline "712x560i" 15 712 760 832 960 560 574 579 625 Composite interlace

But when I try to use radeonfb driver with this kernel command line
(in grub menu.lst) the TV doesn't sync:

kernel /kernel-2.6.29-next-20090402 root=/dev/hda4 ro quiet
video=radeonfb:800x520-32 at 50i

If I connect my LCD monitor at this point it says "out of range", so
it looks like it's half way there. I uncommented the CSYNC line in the
radeon_base.c kernel source:

#define CRTC_CSYNC_EN (1 << 4)

        if (mode->vmode & FB_VMODE_INTERLACED) {
            newmode->crtc_gen_cntl |= CRTC_INTERLACE_EN | CRTC_CSYNC_EN;
        }

I'm not sure what else to do. Any ideas?

Cheers,
Nick Martin