[mythtv-users] WAaay OT: Just trying to pick the brains of anyone who can help ... Batch txt edit insert title

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 21:28:40 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 3:59 PM, Damian <myth at surr.co.uk> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> This has NOTHING to do with MythTV as all and everything to do with the
> fact that I've searched high and low for an answer to this problem,
> failed to come up with anything and know that you lot are the most
> knowlegeable group of computerists that I know.
>
> So, if anty of you are still reading ...
>
> Basically, I need to add the title of a text file to the first line of
> the body of the same text file (followed by a couple of carridge returns
> if possible). I then need to do this for about 400 hundreds of files!

Have you tried?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=sed+insert+first+line

Anyway, it doesn't give you the whole solution but it does give you
the insert piece.

I haven't tested this so consider it unstable meta code but something like...
"""
#!/bin/bash
for file in $1; do
    sed -i '1i\$(basename $file ${file/*./}' $file
done
"""

Or something like that... the "${file/*./} is supposed to just give
you the extension so basename knows to output the filename sans the
extension but I've never done it that way before.

Richard