[mythtv-users] LIRC stopped recognizing remote with system upgrade

Jerry Rubinow jerrymr at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 20:57:36 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 4:37 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:

> On Jul 13, 2011, at 3:52 PM, Jerry Rubinow wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 3:21 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com>
> wrote:
> > On Jul 13, 2011, at 9:03 AM, Tim Draper wrote:
> >
> > > mind if i ask what tv card you have?
> > > the cx23885 has known issue with the lirc mceusb module and you have to
> use mythbuntu 10.10 without kernel updates and lirc =<0.8.7
> >
> > That TBS issue completely slipped my mind[*]. I'm reasonably sure it was
> > not actually rc-core that broke anything, but rather, an unrelated
> > commit that got into the kernel about the same time rc-core did. See
> > here for reference:
> >
> > https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/930442/
> >
> > In short, I bet its MSI that was horking up their card.
> >
> > [*] http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/482986
> >

> > Is it at all possible that the mceusb driver is interfering (sometimes)
> with audio recording from the HD-PVR?
>
> Highly unlikely, unless you're saturating the bus, but then its not really
> mceusb interfering so much as it is you asking too much of a slow bus. I
> presume the HD-PVR *is* plugged into a USB 2.0 port?...

I presume that as well :)

At least, I haven't had any issue with audio in a long long time, and this
is with no hardware changes, just the software upgrade.  Thinking about it
some more, the audio and the video are probably all mixed together in the
mpeg stream coming from the HD-PVR, so it seems unlikely that audio would be
affected and not video if it was a software/hardware issue with the usb
driver/usb port.

However, I did find this:
which sounds similar to my issue, so I'll try that tonight and see if it
makes a difference.  Maybe slight timing changes in the new kernel, etc,
caused this to surface.

-Jerry