[mythtv-users] mythtv/master commit: 6ffb557d6 by Raymond Wagner (wagnerrp)

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Tue Jul 12 20:52:38 UTC 2011

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 21:43:45 +0200, Warpme <warpme at o2.pl> wrote:
>>The original message complained about strange behavior when querying
>  >location. The location during playback will display the title and
> subtitle
>  >of the show being played back, which depending on location may very
well
>  >include UTF-8 text. Telnet is an ASCII protocol, and telnet clients
> cannot
>  >handle UTF-8 text. Any properly behaving telnet client will interpret
> ASCII
>  >(>127) characters as control codes, and react accordingly. Similarly,
any
>  >properly behaving telnet client will send various control codes which
> will
>  >be interpreted to the control socket as text, and cause unpredictable
>  >behavior.
>
> I really appreciate help suggestions about switching from telnet to nc.
> Unfortunately I prefer problem solution over workaround (I mean
> reverting commit instead of removing telenet access).

While we have never supported a telnet interface, and we likely never will
support a telnet interface, a segfault is still something that show be
resolved, even if brought on by fuzzing the interface.  Despite my best
efforts, spamming queries into the control socket through the 'telnet'
application, as fast as I can click my middle mouse button, I have yet been
unable to cause a segfault.  Could you post your script to see what you're
doing, or some logs to see what commands you're calling where and how
freqently, or a traceback from one the segfaults?  Could you run 'git
status', and make sure you didn't at some point make some additions to the
control socket that it is failing on?