[mythtv-users] mythtv/master commit: 6ffb557d6 by Raymond Wagner (wagnerrp)

Warpme warpme at o2.pl
Tue Jul 12 19:43:45 UTC 2011

 >The original message complained about strange behavior when querying
 >location. The location during playback will display the title and
subtitle
 >of the show being played back, which depending on location may very well
 >include UTF-8 text. Telnet is an ASCII protocol, and telnet clients
cannot
 >handle UTF-8 text. Any properly behaving telnet client will interpret
ASCII
 >(>127) characters as control codes, and react accordingly. Similarly, any
 >properly behaving telnet client will send various control codes which
will
 >be interpreted to the control socket as text, and cause unpredictable
 >behavior.

Oh well - one thing:
Issue described in OP has direct correlation with mentioned commit.
Reverting this commit removes described issues on exactly the same
environment (I mean i.e. played content).
I'm using mentioned perl script since 2y in production environment and
during those 2y there was no situation when telnet access causes seg in fe.

I really appreciate help suggestions about switching from telnet to nc.
Unfortunately I prefer problem solution over workaround (I mean
reverting commit instead of removing telenet access).
Also I believe addressing OP issue with understanding what is root cause
will be far more beneficial to myth code quality that simple change in
private scrip for hiding real issue....

BTW: Maybe it might be helpful: I also mention in OP that query location
sometimes returns <filename>.xml string (unfortunately I don't remember
what exact was filename string).

br