[mythtv-users] LIRC stopped recognizing remote with system upgrade

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Tue Jul 12 04:07:37 UTC 2011

On Jul 11, 2011, at 11:46 PM, Jerry Rubinow wrote:

> I recently upgraded my MythTV frontend and stupidly wiped my old configuration without saving my lircd.conf.  So I was trying to generate a new one.  Here's the hw/sw:
>
> Lirc 0.8.7, Mythbuntu 11.04.  mceusb IR receiver.  ReplayTV remote (and universal remote emulating ReplayTV remote).  lirc_dev and mceusb drivers specified in hardware.conf.  If I use the mceusb lircd.conf, everything works fine (irw displays the button presses of my MCE remote, mythtv responds), so I believe the receiver and software are working correctly.
>
> However, if I use irrecord with either the ReplayTV remote or the emulated ReplayTV remote, I end up with a file that does not recognize proper button presses.  During irrecord, I get lots of length 1 sequences.  I should note that in the old configuration (lirc under mythbuntu 10.04), the exact same hardware worked perfectly, so I'm not sure what I could be doing wrong or what might have changed.
>
> If I use the Replay lircd.conf file from the LIRC site, it doesn't display any button presses in irw.

There's a minor but critical for non-RC5/6 remotes bug in the mceusb driver
that might be tripping you up. There's a timeout value in the driver that is
1/10th the time it should be (10ms instead of 100ms), which causes a reset
event to trigger in the middle of a relatively long pulse or space sample,
which does Bad Things to signal interpretation. It should be fixed in kernel
3.0, not sure if it'll be before release or via the stable tree, and 2.6.39
should also get it via its stable tree. No clue about kernels that are any
older than that. There's always media_build though, once the patch is merged
into the media tree (I only sent the pull req this afternoon).

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com