[mythtv-users] hours to edit channels?

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Mon Jul 11 17:56:49 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 12:53 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> FWIW, the MythTV channel scanner does not put the wrong value in the
> freqid column for digital cards.  It puts in the value that is required
> to be there.

This is not consistent with my understanding of Robert McNamara's
description of what this field means.  At least one of the three of us
must be wrong, but I don't know who.

Is this field supposed to be the id of the physical frequency used for
tuning (redundant with the multiplex id?), or is it supposed to be the
virtual channel number, or is it dependent on the type of tuner?

> Eric, your concern is that mythfilldatabase--when it's told to try to
> figure out which unconfigured channels in a video source match up with
> unmatched channels in your Schedules Direct lineup--matches with a false
> positive.  Your options are to a) tell mythfilldatabase you're done
> configuring your Video Source channels (using --remove-new-channels) or
> b) wait and have problems until Schedules Direct updates your lineup
> with the most-recent changes your cable company made to its channel
> layout so that you're not using data that provides incorrect information
> about channel layout on the cable service.

I really feel like you aren't understanding the situation.  Schedules
Direct is not out of date for the channels in question.  There are no
recent changes for these channels.  In my case, they're all exactly
where they have been since I first signed up with Verizon last
November and Schedules Direct's lineup doesn't even cover information
relevant to the layout of channels and frequencies except for OTA
sources.

Eric