[mythtv-users] sequentally play video files

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 08:39:54 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 8:05 PM, Artem Astafyev
<artem.astafyev at gmail.com> wrote:
> Then again I have to make playlists for all folders and remake them after
> adding/removing files. And playlist will always start from first file but I
> want to start from any file in a folder and then next videos play
> automatically one by one.
> It's default behaviour of most hardware dvd players and I don't understand
> why it haven't been done it mythvideo yet.

please note that top posting is frowned on here (although I admit I
did it in response to yours)

It would be easyish to write a script that would to what you want then
activate it as a custom player. It would also be easy to write a
script to automatically add new files to your playlists.

Overall you need to appreciate the open source ethos - if you want it
bad enough you have two choices:

1. write the code and submit a patch; or

2. create a groundswell of people who want the same thing, and
convince the developers that enough people want them to implement the
feature. then hope some coder pickes up the torch and creates your
dream feature.

Frankly I have no need for this feature, I can understand it if you
have, eg, a load of music videos and want to keep playing music videos
continuously.

But i use mythvideo for movies and tv programmes, and don't want some
random video popping up after the latest movie I watched.

A system that automatically started the next video in some arbitrary
order would p*** me off. In fact my LG tv accessing mythvideo via DLNA
does that, which makes me hate it.

So basically it's a matter of taste and don't think because some
hardware player does this that myth should. On the other hand if it is
a useful addition (despite my own misgivings, and I am only one
opinion) then once you submit a patch it will undoubtedly become an
option :)