[mythtv-users] FE Freeze on playblack

Oz-in-DFW lists at ozindfw.net
Sun Jul 10 13:21:48 UTC 2011

On live or recorded playback.  This seems to be a well documented
problem for which a fix is not understood. At least I've not found an
fix or workaround identified. FE messages seem normal until 5 or 10
seconds into playback then I a recurring message indicating the player
has waited 100 ms and timed out.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to find a fix or get more diagnostic
information.

top indicates that the BE is hovering around 5% and the FE goes to 99+%
of CPU utilization when this happens.  The FE goes to zero utilization
after 10 or 20 seconds and is non-responsive once this starts.  If I've
started the FE from a command line window it's not responsive there, but
I can Ctrl-Z out and exit manually.

mplayer will play mpegs just fine.  I ran a 2 hour video without incident.

config is a Dell dimension 8400 with 4 GB of ram and the latest Mythdora
12.23 ISO (FC12, myth0.23-rc2+, kernel 2.6.32.11-99) install from scratch.

replaytv dies 31 July, so the spousal pressure is on. It's this or
someone else's commercial DVR indentured servitude.

mailto:oz at ozindfw.net
Oz
POB 93167
Southlake, TX 76092 (Near DFW Airport)