[mythtv-users] Playback problem -- random short pauses

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 13:14:22 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 11:59 PM, Kenneth Emerson
<kenneth.emerson at gmail.com> wrote:
>> yea, if the changes are indeed due to VDPAU none of that would make
>> difference, except maybe for the start/end of recordings hiccups.
>> doesn't sound like the dev's have nailed down what's causing it yet
>> though.
>>
>> thanks for the update!
>>
>> is there a reason you're not using storage groups for your recording
>> drives? (I ask because I ran RAID5 across 6 disks and when I went to
>> storage groups instead I noticed a substantial decrease in my i/o wait
>> times and a perceived increase in speed).
>>
>> --
>> Steve
>>
> You can call me paranoid if you want.  My MythTV box is not just for
> recordings.  I have many family photos, most of my music, and my entire
> collection of DVDs in that RAID6 volume.  I also have it backed up, but not
> physically in a different location. A fire would wipe me out right now.  I'm
> mostly looking for short MTTR times as well as long MTBF.  My disk drives
> are in a hot swap enclosure located in 3 of my 5.25" drive bays.  If I have
> a disk failure I just pop out the failed one, install a new one and rebuild
> the array.  I also have a spare PS as that is the second thing most likely
> to fail.  I set this up many years ago and I haven't thought about changing
> it.  Maybe I should.  All of my hardware is located in my basement directly
> below my 52" plasma screen.  The only things that can be seen in the viewing
> room besides the TV are the 5.1 speaker system, an IR to RF
> receiver/transmitter and a few wires for video and audio.  I love showing it
> off and it garners big wow factor to my guests.  I do love the MythTV
> software.

ahh, I had a separate RAID array for important things, now I use a
combination of rsync between a few of my "JBOD" drives and a separate
off-site backup for my important stuff. I moved away from RAID'ing my
entire drive system since so much of it was just recordings that I
didn't feel needed redundancy. Paranoia ftw!

I also have my backend and a separate fileserver in the basement,
garners the same for me =D

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!