[mythtv-users] Recorded TV Android playback ?

Brian Fischer brianafischer at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 03:21:24 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 8:05 PM, Zuriel <elpinkus at yahoo.com> wrote:

> >On Jul 1, 2011 1:16 AM, "Harry Coin" <hcoin at quietfountain.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> My HTC 'Android' phone finds the MythTV backend via WIFI and can play
> >> back videos, and can correctly browse the names and details of all
> >> recorded shows.
> >
> > Sorry I don't know the answer to your question but am interested to know what app you're using to do this on your android.
> I didn't know there was a way to watch recordings from MythTV on an Android phone besides using Mythweb's flash streaming.

There are a few options to watch myth recordings on an Android device
(in order of preference):

1. UPnP
Applications - UPnPlay, RockPlayer
Browse the mythbackend UPnP interface and attempt to play the video
from original source.  This is most likely what Harry is doing.  If
you record HD shows this method will probably not work well because
the streams are not transcoded.

2. Air Video Server
Applications - Mirage (Air Video Client for Android)
Browse an Air Video server to watch transcoded myth recordings.  This
method will transcode shows but requires a bit of setup.  This
requires:

1. Installing the Air Video software on you server.  See
http://mingaz.wordpress.com/2010/10/10/air-video-server-on-linux-ubuntu-10-04/
for a guide.
2. A script to output human readable show names.  I use mythlink.pl to
output the recordings to a custom directory for Air Video.

Hope this helps.

-Brian