[mythtv-users] FW: Help understand the interface of Myth Media & Video Gallery

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Mon Jan 31 09:03:25 UTC 2011

It seems clear that the basic problem here was that the OP became
frustrated because he wasn't fully au fait with the way permissions work
in his system, and the error messages he received from Myth didn't alert
him to this as a likely problem.  It sounds as if mythtv-setup will be
modified to make it more friendly and maybe wiki entries will eventually
be updated to be both friendly and correct.

But he also reported an unhelpful response from  'sudo chown' and,
later, that the apparently successful changes he had made had been
spontaneously reverted.

> I typed the following in the terminal " sudo chown -R mythtv:mythtv
> /media/Store/Recordings"
>
> And I got the following error - Missing operand after mythtv
> /media/Store/Recordings

I haven't used sudo, but its man page clearly isn't designed for the
newbie: is the response above to be expected given the likely default
settings for sudo?  I imagine that su would have worked?

And is the non-stick behaviour likely to be linked to this comment from
jedi?

>    /media seems like an odd place be putting your files.
>
>    This is generally where Ubuntu mounts removable media.

John P