[mythtv-users] mythfrontend segfaults

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Jan 30 13:59:04 UTC 2011

  On 01/30/2011 02:01 AM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-01-30 at 17:57 +1100, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>> On 30 January 2011 16:08, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/469806#469806
>> shouldn't segfault though...
> Right.  A segfault is a bug, period, full-stop.  Apart from hardware
> funk, there is no way ever that a segfault is not a bug.

Agreed--which I why I never said otherwise.

But I thought the user might want to actually use his system before
someone debugs the segfault, commits a fix, tests it in unstable for a
week, backports it to 0.24-fixes, then the distro packages up the fixed
version, and the user finally pulls that update.  (Though, IMHO, it
should just exit when improperly configured--meaning that proper
configuration will be required, even then. :)

Mike