[mythtv-users] Assigning /dev/video device nodes

Mike McMullin mwmcmlln at mnsi.net
Sat Jan 29 23:44:05 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-01-29 at 11:16 -0600, Christopher Meredith wrote:
> I have a DVB card and an HD-PVR. Both of them create a /dev/video#
> device when initialized. But which device gets 0 and which gets 1 is
> inconsistent from boot to boot. How can I specify which device should
> take which node number?

  udev is what you need to look into.  On my Ubuntu install the file
is /etc/udev/rules.d/51-setup-video.rules.   I made that file and the
extension is important!

Contents:

KERNEL=="video[0-9]*",ATTR{name}=="gspca",DRIVERS=="usb",NAME="video1"
KERNEL=="video[0-9]*",ATTR{name}=="ivtv0 encoder
MPG",DRIVERS=="ivtv",NAME="video4"

Note: KERNEL== contains one line only the second definition is line
wrapped.  I found the info for this oddly enough from an Ubuntu user
when I was still running openSuSE.  The first line deals with my
web-cam, gspca is the kernel module (incorrectly named AAMOF), the
NAME="video1" tells the system which device name to use for this piece
of hardware.