[mythtv-users] Strange MythMusic File Behavior

Christopher Kerr mythtv at theseekerr.com
Sat Jan 29 10:46:16 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 9:23 PM, Anthony Rooney <rooneyo at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> Thanks Nick
>
> I will checkout My Squeezeboxes as suggested.

The projects you want to check out are Squeezebox Server, SqueezeSlave
and SqueezePlay (Jive).

> It is such a shame that Myth in general is seriously undermined by the
> consistent failure to test their UI with those who were not involved in the
> design.

Anything other than MythMusic that particularly bugs you? I find all
the tools used for watching and scheduling recordings to be fine, as
is MythVideo.

> I don't understand why not, using the Linux OS they do not simply copy the
> UI that people are familiar with in the Windows products?  It appears as if
> the Linux Talaban are determined that everything should be done in a
> terminal and they want the solution to be exclusive to a very small sub set
> elite who think just like them.

Bullshit. The "Linux Taliban", as you so delightfully dub the
community, utilise the terminal for one simple reason: it's faster. If
it's faster to use a GUI, then there's usually a GUI.

Anyway, to set up a MythTV box, it's usually necessary to use the
terminal precisely no times at all, although command line package
management generally falls into the "faster" category.
Sometimes people end up with the erroneous impression that a terminal
is necessary because they've read a tutorial that used one - there's
typically another way, but a bunch of text commands are far easier to
type up than "click this, then that, then that, then OK, and, by the
way, all of this is wrong if you're using another distribution".

Setting that aside: Yes, the interface for MythMusic is awful. This is
an acknowledged fact, and a redesign is in the works as part of the
process of porting MythMusic to MythUI.

> Makes me very angry to see such a disconnect from the potential of the
> project and a determination to stop the project from expanding into the main
> stream.

There is no "determination to stop the project". There is a distinct
shortage of people willing to work on MythTV who are not, primarily,
programmers - there's a lot of documentation to be done, and I'm sure
the services of an expert in Interface Design wouldn't be turned away,
but SOMEBODY has to step up to the plate and do it. Not saying it
needs to be you (certainly I don't have the spare time, although
perhaps I should find some), but you can't blame programmers for
spending their time writing code.

Regards,
Chris