[mythtv-users] mythbuntu nvidia edid hdmi issues SOLVED

jim jones jim at tonto.stanford.edu
Fri Jan 28 07:54:54 UTC 2011

I just upgraded mythbuntu to 10.10 from 10.4 and it seems to have
initially broken both X and audio. I'm posting my resolution here in
case it might be useful to others.

The issue upon upgrade, was the the X server would not start.
Apparently either the new kernel, or perhaps the new nvidia driver broke
what was working in terms of picking up the EDID from the HDMI attached
TV, a Phillips Magnovox 37MFxxxD which has always been a bear to get
appropriate screen resolution through X.  For whatever reason, no EDID
information can be obtained from the current NVIDIA driver, and the
get-edid utility did not work either, so there seemed to be no way to
get the EDID information to provide to the NVIDIA xorg.conf file to deal
with this dilemma.  Fortunately, I had gotten an EDID dump in the past,
and ended up being able to use that file  in the [device] section of the
xorg.conf file

Option "CustomEDID" "DFP-0:/etc/X11/edid.bin"

This not only fixed the X starting up issue, but also restored the
ability to output sound through the HDMI port, as this apparently depends o