[mythtv-users] Installing MythTV on a system with a pre-existing MySQL database

Dan Wilson dwilson at solidstatesoftware.com
Fri Jan 28 03:36:44 UTC 2011

On 01/27/2011 05:31 PM, mythtv at daniflexer.com wrote:
> [I am a MythTV newbie so apologies if I am missing anything obvious.
> Ilooked through the archives but could not find an answer to this query.]
>
> I am installing MythTV on a system (Ubuntu 10.10) that is already
> hosting a Bitnami Mediawiki stack which includes an instance of MySQL,
> currently only used for the Mediawiki.
>
> I am considering whether to run an instance of MySQL dedicated to
> MythTV in addition to the one used for Mediawiki or to use the same
> MySQL for both the Mediawiki stack and MythTV.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. What would be considered the best-practice?
I can't speak to the "best-practices" for the whole industry, but I am
running multiple databases, including mythtv, using mysql on my master
backend, and it works fine. I would expect more problems from trying to
run multiple instances of mysql than you'd get from running multiple
databases under a single mysql instance.

> 2. Other than adding a mythtv user to the existing MySQL database and
> running mysql -u root < /usr/share/mythtv/sql/mc.sql, is there
> anything else I need to add to the existing MySQL to prepare it for
> MythTV?

Just follow the directions - mysql should just pick up the new database
and run with it. You might end up tweaking some of mysql's parameters to
improve performance (see the mythtv wiki for examples).

HTH,

Dan.