[mythtv-users] Nvidia cards with TV-out

Alex Butcher mythlist at assursys.co.uk
Thu Jan 27 22:47:10 UTC 2011

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010, Adam Stylinski wrote:

> I have to warn you the most recent nvidia drivers I'm struggling with SDTV
> standards for TV-Out.  Component specifically I can't get to work with
> 480i standard.  Someone else on nvnews.net is having a similar problem,
> I'm not entirely sure why but it seems to involve something with mode
> validation (this had worked previously under earlier drivers with a
> 7600GT).

I bought a new GT240 for my recent MythTV upgrade and was disappointed to
find that, although X accepted my old 15kHz PAL modelines and started, it
apparently didn't output that via the VGA socket for my VGA-to-RGB SCART
adaptor. I tried both the 256 and 260 drivers.

Switching the card for an older 7600GT (with a S-Video/Composite socket
instead of a new-fangled HDMI socket), and the same 256 drivers and
xorg.conf had it work just fine.

Never mind, I'll only need the GT240 and VDPAU if/when I start watching HD
content, and by then, I'll be connecting via HDMI anyway...

Best Regards,
Alex