[mythtv-users] Nvidia cards with TV-out

Adam Stylinski kungfujesus06 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 20:58:00 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 01:19:36PM +1300, Tom Cornall wrote:
> Oh right. I was running pretty bleeding edge drivers up until the card
> melted a week or two ago -- I use Archlinux, and the drivers are updated
> very regularly (the version was 260.19 something). I used the S-Video socket
> to output to PAL and was fine.
>
> Are you using component through the VGA port? How do you tell which cards
> support this?
>
> On 31 December 2010 06:58, Adam Stylinski <kungfujesus06 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 07:42:46PM +1300, Tom Cornall wrote:
> > > Hello everybody,
> > >
> > > I was running an older PC with one of those PCI 8400GS cards to do VDPAU.
> > > Unforunately keeping it in a cupboard during summer wasn't good for it,
> > and
> > > it looks like I cooked the card! It just displays colourful flashing
> > squares
> > > now.
> > >
> > > Anyway, I'm going to pick up a new PC, one with PCI-E. I thought it'd be
> > > easy to find a PCI-E card (it was tough to find a PCI card before) that
> > > would do VDPAU and S-Video or component out. Apparently not! Nvidia's
> > latest
> > > cards (the 200 series) don't have S-video sockets. You can still find
> > older
> > > PCI-E 8400GS cards with TV-out, but they're getting thinner on the ground
> > > and I can't find one locally for a good price. Plenty of 8400GS cards for
> > > almost nothing but they don't have S-video sockets!
> > >
> > > Anyway, I've noticed these cables for sale which are so-called `breakout'
> > > cables -- they are VGA on one end and split into component or S-video. I
> > > know these aren't converters, and only work on certain cards which
> > support
> > > them. I saw a forum post somewhere which claimed that if the chipset
> > already
> > > supports TV-out (which the 8400GS obviously does), then you can use one
> > of
> > > these cables. Is this true? Or just silly internet rumour?
> > >
> > > Otherwise, what cards can people recommend? Or are those VGA to TV
> > > converters any good, or is the quality poor? Never really too impressed
> > with
> > > the quality of the 8400GS S-video output in the first place, how much
> > worse
> > > could it be?
> > >
> > > Thanks everybody,
> > >
> > > -Tom

> > I have to warn you the most recent nvidia drivers I'm struggling with SDTV
> > standards for TV-Out.  Component specifically I can't get to work with 480i
> > standard.  Someone else on nvnews.net is having a similar problem, I'm not
> > entirely sure why but it seems to involve something with mode validation
> > (this had worked previously under earlier drivers with a 7600GT).

They all should support it through the VIVO out or whatever port.  I was using the component out via the adapter to go from VIVO (or whatever NVIDIA called that connector) to component and S-VIDEO.  I haven't tried SVIDEO, but component has been broken since.  It worked with my 7600GT, switched it to a Sparkle 8400GS.  VGA works fine, no reason to think DVI doesn't, this is just having issues with component out at 480i on my SDTV (again, this previously worked with my 7600GT with older drivers).  Can't really revert the drivers on the 8400GS as it requires downgrading kernels and Xorg versions.