[mythtv-users] Help understand the interface of Myth Media & Video Gallery

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Thu Jan 27 17:13:16 UTC 2011

On 27 Jan 2011, at 14:27, John Pilkington wrote:

>> What I have currently whih is not working is
>>
>> /var/lib/mythtv/Recordings
>>
>> / Media/Storage/Recordings
>>
>> Many Thanks
>>
>> Anthony
>>
> In the post that I replied to you said:
>
> I have a second partition which appears in the file system as
> "/media/Store/Recordings"
>
> As you complained then, these things need to be accurately typed.

Case must be correct too, extra spaces won't work.

Also I think Ubuntu has some special permissions for the /media/ directory as this is used by auto mounted removable disks CD's etc. Perhaps the problem you have is related to this special status?

I would mount the extra directory on /var/lib/mythtv2/ instead of media (not Media) and create a recordings directory on the drive. Then put /var/lib/mythtv2/recordings in to the setup gui.

Also as you seem unfamiliar with linux/unix systems and refer to Windows conventions in your earlier emails it seems worth asking what format this drive is in? If it's a Windows Fat32 disk then you are going to have all kinds of trouble along the way, myth may not accept it at all, I've never tried, I find xfs is the best for the job.

Tell us if any of this is helping and what actual errors you get rather than general moaning about the interface and I'm sure some one will help get it working.

As to moaning about the interface, I do it all the time, for me it's far too fluffy and graphical, not appropriate for a server application, should be a bunch of text files to edit ;-)

Andre