[mythtv-users] Nvidia Driver stability and GT 240 on linux - 256.53 or 260.x

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Wed Jan 26 16:54:33 UTC 2011

On 26 Jan 2011, at 16:39, Dave Richardson wrote:

> Is there a consensus in this list as to whether support on linux for the NVidia GeForce GT 240 GPU is "best" supported in the v260.x or v256.x series drivers?

My experience with a GT220 should be applicable.

Certain unplayable files which cause a blank screen and drop back to the menus with 256 cause a hard lockup needing reset with 260.

Occasional madly flickering screen on the myth menus, need to exit myth and restart to clear up.

ivtc with advanced 2x de-int causes some very odd stuttering video on some scene changes and when banner graphics are placed over a telecine programme! Works fine in 256.

> There have been a number of statements that encouraged against 260 in favor of 256.  Any practical experience anyone can share?
>
> Nvidia's page for each driver simply lists the GT 240 as supported, no other guidance.

I keep trying each new 260 release in hope because the new YCrCb and desktop RGB studio levels settings give me better image quality and correct levels for myth theme rendering, not so useful when it crashes most times you use it though.

Andre