[mythtv-users] Surprise: cannot play some recordings in VLC

freedenizen freedenizen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 16:29:25 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 6:40 AM, Brian Boonstra <myth at boonstra.org> wrote:
> I thought perhaps the backend saves the file with the wrong framerate or
> something, but I don't know anything about the MPEG file format to check
> it with.

What are you using as a capture device?  Someone will correct me if
I'm wrong, but AFAIK myth doesn't do anything to the data dump from
your capture device.  For example if you are recording QAM or ATSC via
a pcHDTV card or equivalent it will just take the mpeg2 stream that is
being output from the card and dump it to the hd.

As for why it is in 720P, a lot of sports are broadcast via 720P as
you avoid any interlacing on fast motion.

Check the file using ffmpeg and see what frame rate it supports.