[mythtv-users] 5.1 wrong speaker problem

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed Jan 26 14:35:04 UTC 2011

On Jan 26, 2011, at 1:37 AM, Ken Bass wrote:

> Just upgraded to 0.24-fixes from 0.23. I have some recordings that are in 5.1. If I recall, I think for me using 0.23, I only ever got stereo, even on 5.1 material, so this 5.1 stuff is a new feature for me.
>
> My frontend sound output is set to ALSA:hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0 (its an ION)
>
> When I playback a 5.1 program, the center channel seems to be going to the REAR left. How can this happen?
> Shouldn't the sound be sent unmolested directly to my audio receiver and it would decodes it there?
> These recordings were make using a HD-PVR ( w/ SPDIF )
>
> I do have the boxes checked that says my system suppports dolby and dts.

Interesting. I just got a new audio toy (Yamaha NeoHD) for my secondary
frontend, which is also an ION, and had been using plain old stereo out
until a few days ago... Now I'm doing audio via hdmi to the NeoHD, and
something I noticed when running alsa-utils speaker-test on the ION was
that two of the channels seemed to be swapped (but in my case, I swear
it was subwoofer and one of the surrounds). Haven't poked at it any more
since then...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com